[Insight-developers] The pow function vs. SGI MIPSPro 7.3.1.3m

Kent Williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Wed Feb 23 16:40:12 EST 2005

I did an update to my Insight directory on an SGI platform today, and
ran into some compiler errors. Specifically, when the pow() function is
called I get errors of this form:

cc-1282 CC: ERROR File =
[...]Insight/Testing/Code/Common/itkBoundingBoxTest.cxx, Line = 184
  More than one instance of overloaded function "pow" matches the
argument list.

            Function symbol function "pow(double, double)" is ambiguous by
                      inheritance.
            Function symbol function "pow(float, float)" is ambiguous by
                      inheritance.
            Function symbol function "pow(long double, long double)" is
                      ambiguous by inheritance.
            Function symbol function "pow(float, int)" is ambiguous by
                      inheritance.
            Function symbol function "pow(double, int)" is ambiguous by
                      inheritance.
            Function symbol function "pow(long double, int)" is ambiguous by
                      inheritance.
            The argument types are:  (int, unsigned int).
        if((*it)[i] != pow(-1,j/(int(pow(2,i)))))

The compile flags we're using:
-n32 -g -DUDEBUG -G0 -multigot  -xansi -LANG:std
-LANG:ansi-for-init-scope=ON -woff
15,84,1110,1209,1424,1468,3102,3210,3439  -LANG:std -woff
15,84,1110,1209,1424,1468,3102,3210,3439  -no_auto_include -ptused
-no_prelink

Now, I see all the SGI compiles were, as of the last roll-up, not
showing any of the errors I'm seeing. I've done little fixes to get ITK
built, but ultimately, shouldn't we be using the VXL math functions
instead of math.h math functions?

What compiler flags are others using when they build?