[Insight-developers] NRRD Image Format (and tensor estimation thereafter?)

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Fri Dec 2 11:55:04 EST 2005

Gordon Kindlmann wrote:

> hello,
>
> Which version of ITK are you using?
> The most general handling of NRRD files was added by me prior to the
> 2.2 release.
>
> Are you reading the file as a scalar image?
> I am guessing this may be the problem.
>
> I believe you can follow the example of:
> Insight/Testing/Code/IO/itkNrrdVectorImageReadTest.cxx
>
> which uses a itk::Vector<float, N> PixelType for which the length N
> is known at compile time,
>
> or the example of:
> Insight/Testing/Code/Common/itkVectorImageTest.cxx
>
> which uses VectorImage<float, D> image type for which the image
> dimension D is known at compile time, but the length (number of
> values per sample) can be set at run-time, based on a read file.
>
> However, others more knowledgeable than I can chime in with further
> details on the use of VectorImage, also new with ITK 2.2.
>
> Once you have DWIs loaded in, you probably want to do tensor
> estimation.  I am not sure what the current status of ITK-based
> tensor estimation is, specifically, can it work with VectorImages?

The tensor framework in ITK usually has the following pipeline:

Reference + DWI Gradient images  ---->
DiffusionTensor3DReconstructionImageFilter  -----> itk::Image<
DiffusionTensor3D< TScalar >, 3 >

To this image you can apply one of the may tensor filters like:

TensorFractionalAnisotropyImageFilter,
TensorRelativeAnisotropyImageFilter,
Hessian3DToVesselnessMeasureImageFilter,
SymmetricEigenAnalysisImageFilter,

I presume your question was "Can the DWI Gradient images" be a
itk::VectorImage.
Not with the way the filter is written right now, It expects 'n'
itk::Images as input, but its very easy to make it expect an
itk::VectorImage as input. If you want, I can change that or add another
filter.

Would you rather have it expect a VectorImage ?

Regards
karthik