[Insight-developers] DICOM Header Tags

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Mon Aug 15 15:58:14 EDT 2005

Vincent,

	You understand that this DICOM tag is from the private/shadow
dictionary. This is hardly ever documented, and there has been case
where the definition of the value changed over the year. The algorithm
to find the defintion of a DICOM tag from private dictionary is *really*
tricky (especially Siemens/SPI).

#1 But anyway if you know what you care doing you can change the
following line:

  else if ( gdcm::ValEntry* v = dynamic_cast<gdcm::ValEntry*>(d) )
       {
       // Only copying field from the public DICOM dictionary
       if( v->GetName() != "unkn")   <--- this one

#2 The other (and better approach) is if you have the dictionary for
this type of image. You could edit the file dicomV3.dic. So that it
containing a line, something like:

0029 1020 ?? 1 Diffusion Tensor Series

Therefore at load time the dictionary will return a name for this tag.

HTH,
Mathieu
As a side note, private dictionaries are handler much smoother in gdcm CVS.

And if you have the time could you send me the pdf or some links that
describe this tag, I cannot seems to find it in Philips, SIEMENS, GE,
ACUSON...

And for the historical reason, DICOM name use to be the key in the
MetaDataDictionary, one understand why private (unknown) tags where
therefore skip at load time :)