[Insight-developers] [Fwd: bug triage]

Stephen R. Aylward aylward at unc.edu
Thu Aug 11 21:15:44 EDT 2005

Hi,

As stated in the bug:
http://www.itk.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=1948

ITK only supports histograms with FrequencyType of float.  This is
because itkSample.h has hardcoded a typedef of FrequencyType with float.

1) One option is to add another template var to Sample.  UGH.  This
requires changes to every sample type: ListSample, ImageSample, etc.
However, it appears that this can generally be masked from the user by
providing a default value of float for this template var.

2) Another option is to only allow FrequencyType of float.   This would
require removal of a template parameter from DenseFrequencyContainer and
SparseFrequencyContainer.   This change could not be masked from the
user, but given the changes already made to the statistics API, perhaps
the impact can be considered minimal (or at least well timed).

Since histogram is the only sample type that causes this problem, I
hesitate to induce changes to every sample type.

Since we already provide memory a saving option for histograms via
sparsefrequencycontainer, perhaps allowing for int, uint, char, uchar
etc frequencytypes is not critical.  We do, however, lose if someone
wants a frequency type of double.

I suggest option 2, but I am open to suggestions.

What do ya'll think?

Stephen