[Insight-developers] Comments please: Prototype DTI fiber tracking in ITK

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Mon Aug 8 15:46:25 EDT 2005

Hi Karthik --

Thanks for your feedback.

Karthik Krishnan wrote:

>> The tracking filter inherits from itk::SpatialObjectSource (also
>> included in aforementioned archive) and generates an
>> itk::GroupSpatialObject as its output. The group object contains all
>> fibers as its children, where each fiber is represented by an
>> itk::DTITubeSpatialObject object.
>>
> I like the idea of having a SpatialObjectSource. For consistency, I
> think the SpaitialObjectReader should also derive from this. With the
> current layout, of the class hierarchy, it doesn't really fit in that
> well. Julien will have more to say on that.

To tell you the truth, I was quite surprised that there was no
SpatialObjectSource already.

>> I also include a first, simple test in itkFiberTrackingTest.cxx,
>> which basically constructs a 5x5x5 tensor volume with a single
>> straight "fiber" in z-direction in the center of the volume. Note
>> that since the tensors are all exactly vertical, you'll basically get
>> five identical fibers as output. I am not saying it's particularly
>> creative test case.
>

> If you are ok with it, we could commit this to ITK.

Fundamentally, I am okay with it. However, I am not entirely happy with
the iterator design yet. At the very least I would like create a traits
class for the code that takes a tensor and computes the next line
segment direction. This way, we could easily plug different such
algorithms into the fiber iterator. For example, a Monte Carlo-type
tracking would then simply be realized by pluging in a different such
traits class.

This is a matter of a few hours of thinking and re-arranging things on
my part, so if you don't mind, I'd suggest you give me another day and
then I'll post an updated version that is more elegantly designed.

--
Torsten Rohlfing, PhD          SRI International, Neuroscience Program
 Research Scientist             333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025

     "Though this be madness, yet there is a method in't"