[Insight-developers] Patented code

Stephen R. Aylward aylward at unc.edu
Wed Sep 29 19:12:36 EDT 2004

Also, to clarify - all code in ITK is considered open-source.   You can
read the terms at the top of any of the header files.   It grants the
distribution, modification, and use of the code.   That has been the
case from the start for ITK.   We have never agreed on what to do with
patented code.  There is no provision for patent code in ITK.

The terms of distribution given at the top of every file in ITK are
"Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:"

The conditions do not limit use in any way.   If a method is patented,
the terms agreed to by submitting the code to ITK grants the world the
right to use the method in any form, without paying a fee, including use
for commercial purposes.

Stephen