[Insight-developers] image to vector of images filter

gunnar at bwh.harvard.edu gunnar at bwh.harvard.edu
Mon Oct 4 15:47:19 EDT 2004

I'm implementing a filter which transforms an image into a vector of
images and need some design advice.

This may sound similar to e.g. a gradient filter but the catch here
is that I need the number of output components to be variable,
depending on a runtime parameter setting.

I suppose that I could try to inherit ImageToImageFilter with the
output type set to Image<std::vector<...>, ...> but I'm unsure whether
it would work and even if it does it seems unnecessarily general (and
thus I assume inefficient) since it allows a varying number of
components from pixel to pixel, which is not interesting.

It seems more natural if I could somehow make a class which takes an
image pointer as input and outputs a variable size vector of image
pointers.

Is there some existing class working like this which I could get some
inspiration from? Any other suggestions how I should implement this?

/Gunnar