[Insight-developers] Re: patented code

Simon Warfield warfield at bwh.harvard.edu
Fri Oct 1 08:40:25 EDT 2004

>Just for the record, the following are some of the
>algorithms whose "Patented" status need to be discussed:
>
>       A - Fuzzy Connectedness
>       B - Marching Cubes
>       C - Iterative Closest Point (ICP)
>       D - Active Shape Models

My understanding is that some aspects of the `demon's registration'
algorithm are patented.
Also the use of correlation ratio for rigid and affine transformations:
6,539,127 Electronic device for automatic registration of images

**
One open source license that is explicit about patents is the so-called
Common Public License:
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cpl.php
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-cplfaq.html

 IBM, Intel and Microsoft, amongst others,  have open source projects
using this license.

--
Simon K. Warfield, Ph.D. warfield at bwh.harvard.edu Phone:617-732-7090