[Insight-developers] GDCM eventually replacing DICOMImageIO2

Lorensen, William E (Research) lorensen at crd.ge.com
Fri Nov 19 16:21:16 EST 2004

Folks,
Today, we discussed the notion of replacing DICOMImageIO2 with the GDCM
dicom reader/writer. We would like to do this before the next release. The
rationale is that GDCM is under active development.

Currently, there are some incompatabilities with DICOMImageIO2.

For one, the GDCMSeriesFilenames does not seem to handle mutiple series in a
directory.This is a common occurrence. The API of DICOMSeriesFilenames to
handle this is easy to use.

Also, in DICOMSeriesFileNames, the sorting of the files can be ascending or
descending. This may or not be a useful feature.

Comments?

Bill