[Insight-developers] gcc3.4 Status

Bill Lorensen wlorens1 at nycap.rr.com
Wed Dec 29 13:33:24 EST 2004

Folks,

We have been working on the gcc3.4 port for the past few weeks.

First, I want to thank Demian Nave at Penn State for the first pass he made
through the upgrade to gcc3.4. Whenever I was stuck with some obscure C++
problem, I looked at Demian's changes and found the answer.

Most changes boiled down to replacing access to superclass ivars with
either an access through a superclass method or a dereference with this->.

For example,
   a = m_Foo;

was replaced with

a = this->GetFoo();
or
a = this->m_Foo;

I treated each class on its own merits and generally used method access.
For Iterators and Transforms, I used the this-> dereference since the code
looked too crufty using method access. For some levelset code, I got mired
in const-hell and took the this-> (easy) way out.

None of these changes should affect the API, although some user written
classes may not compile under gcc 3.4 if the proper dereferencing of member
data is not followed.

Luis added a nightly, and I've added a continuous for this new compiler.

I have not tackled InsightApplications.

Bill