[Insight-developers] GDCM problems with created dicom

Lorensen, William E (Research) lorensen at crd.ge.com
Fri Dec 17 10:05:54 EST 2004

Mathieu,
I am having trouble with dicom files that we are creating. We are reading
dicoms, filtering them and creating new dicoms. We are passing the meta data
from the input to the output unmodified.

If I run the dicom3tools dcdump program it fails on an assertion

  dcdump 88_20_0.0625_1.dcm
you get an error messages that includes the phrase
  Assertion `bitsallocated <= bytesinword*8u' failed.

I have tried to track things down further, and there is trouble in the
0x0002 area. I notice lots of FIXME comments in the gdcm code aroubd
processing of the 0x0002 tags.

I know this message is a bit cryptic, but I'm on travel trying to get this
to work.

Once I get back, I'll get you a sample file that is failing. I can force the
fail if I run the dicomSeriesReadSeriesWrite example.

Have you seen problems like this?

Bill