[Insight-developers] dependency checks

Simon Warfield warfield at bwh.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 11 12:48:15 EDT 2004

Brad King wrote:

> Simon Warfield wrote:
>
>> I was looking at the test_math.cxx code and it seems that the
>> generated dependencies for test_math.o only list .h files.
>> If the .cxx file is changed, the build system doesn't appear to know
>> that the .o file depends on that and needs to be updated.
>>
>> How can I specify that test_math.o should be rebuilt if test_math.cxx
>> is altered ?
>

> The dependencies listed in cmake.depends are the ones generated by
> scanning through included files.  The main dependency on the .cxx file
> is in the makefile itself:
>
> test_math.o: /.../Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/tests/test_math.cxx
>
> -Brad

It seems if I modify test_math.cxx I do get the test_math.o rebuilt
properly, but a rebuild of the test harness  vnl_test_all doesn't
happen. In order to get the test harness rebuilt, I need to:
vi /.../InsightBuild/Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/tests/test_math.cxx
rm /.../InsightBuild/Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/tests/vnl_test_all
cd /.../InsightBuild
make

If I don't remove vnl_test_all, it doesn't get rebuilt.

--
Simon