[Insight-developers] Re: ITK Theory Book

Stephen R. Aylward aylward at unc . edu
Wed, 01 Oct 2003 18:35:44 -0400

Hi,

About the book - there have been good questions, and here is what I have
learned.

1) Royalties will go to the Insight Consortium
2) Royalties begin at 15% of profit for the first 2000 books; 17.5% for
the next 2000, 20% for the rest :)
4) The consortium gets 10 free copies of the book.
5) Contributing authors get a free copy.
6) The consortium can purchase copies for personal use at 30% discount.
The list price hasn't been set yet.

The goal is to have a rough (non-edited) copy of the book at IEEE Viz
2003.   AKPeters will be taking early orders at a discounted price at
that time.   Terry is pulling together that copy for them.

We will get handouts to distribute to advertise the book.   Their
marketing people are preparing rough drafts.   We probably won't see
them until the Vis meeting.

AKPeters expects to sell about 2000 copies in two years.   We may start
a second edition in about 1 to 1.5 years from now for the second run of
books (they run them in sets of 2000).

I think the book is best served if we advertise it ourselves at MICCAI,
SPIE, IEEE Viz, ...

The consortium entity is still being defined.   It begins with bylaws,
Will is working on them, and UNC lawyers are having an initial look.
We hope to have something to the group in a week or so.

Please let me know if you ever have any questions.   I know the Theory
Book has been a bit of a mistery at times, as well as the consortium, so
please don't hesitate - questions are good.

Stephen