[Insight-developers] CurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionTest failing

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 07:38:16 -0500

Hi Bill,

It's great to have the regression testing working !

---

Looking at the images,
http://www.itk.org/Testing/Sites/starsend.kitware.com/WinXP-VC7/20030320-1144-Experimental/Results/__Examples_Filtering_CurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilterTest.html

Here is what seems to happen,

Some day ago a glitch was found in the anisotropic diffusion
filters that was preventing the TimeStep from being used.

That is, the User settings were not being honored. Instead,
a default time step was always being used.  Josh rapidly
fixed this bug, and as a consequence all the code that was
using anisotropic filters suddenly started to actually use
the TimeStep parameters. It happened that most of these settings
were incorrectly tuned, often leading to numerical instabilities.

The Baselineimage for this filter seems to have been generated
just after the bug was fixed but before the new parameters were
tunned. The 'chekers'-like  appearance of the image is due to
the numerical instabilities originated from too large values
of the time step.

So, to summarize:

   Please update the Baseline image with the current one.
   The smooth image appearing as "Testimage" is the right one.

BTW, this may be happening with other tests...

     Luis