[Insight-developers] File suffixes ... and questions about utility of octree representation

Mark Foskey mark_foskey@unc.edu
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:03:46 -0500

 From last Friday's tcon I was unsure about how thoroughly templated
your octree class was going to be.  I really do think it makes sense
for each cell to store an arbitrary data type.  Then you can have
something like

   itk::Octree< std::vector<MeshSimplex::Pointer> >

Such an octree wouldn't be subdivided down to the voxel level, but
could be useful for a number of purposes.  Would that be easy to do, Kent?

Also, I don't know if anybody mentioned that there's a kd-tree class in
ITK:

   http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1Statistics_1_1KdTree.html

It's specialized for storing n-dimensional samples, and Jisung (its
author) didn't think it made sense to do any work right now to give it
a common base class with the Octree class.  But it still might be good
to know that it's there.