[Insight-developers] Great examples

Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:42:13 -0500

Hans,

Thanks for pointing out the importance of showing
users how to transition from other programming
paradigms.

We have been immersed in this so long now that we
take for granted a number of practices and intuitions
on how to do things.

The FAQ could be a good place to put such descriptions
but it seems that in practice very few people explore
the FAQ (unfortunately).

I would think in adding a section to the software guide
with a title like "Transition to ITK" or something along
those lines. This section could have something like a
collection of "common mistakes" that people make when
starting with ITK.

Eg.  trying to use the image of filter->GetOutput() without
      having called Update();

or just what Radhika did: disconecting filter
for pluging them farther in the pipeline.

or running CMake in a subdirectory of the source
tree.

We could collect such cases from the users-list archives.

There are a number of topics scheduled to be added to
the SoftwareGuide for a future second edition. That may
still be six months to one year away from now...

   Luis