[Insight-developers] Gaussian filtering.

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv@crd.ge.com
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:41:09 -0400

FilterDimensionality allows you to limit what dimensions of an
image get filtered.  Sometimes you have a volume but only want
to blur in x and y.  To do this, you would set the filter dimensionality
to 2.

As for the variance vs sigma and pixel units vs physical units, the
answer is "yes, we should be consistent".  In most cases, it really
doesn't matter what coordinate system (pixel vs physical) you specify the
parameters in as long as it is documented.  However, there are cases where
an algorithm must take the physical units into account to get the correct
answer.
This is particularly important when the pixels are not isotropic.  If your
pixels are not isotropic, you either need to code all your algorithms to
take this into account, or you resample your images to make them isotropic.
Both of these approaches have been taken in ITK.  You can argue that it is
wrong not to properly handle the pixel spacing but some algorithms would be
HORRENDOUSLY slow if the pixel spacing was explictly taken into account.
In these cases, we are better off documenting when isotropic pixels
are assumed.

Truthfully, I tend to work in pixel units more often than physical units.
It usually bites me and I convert over to physical units.

Jim