[Insight-developers] ImageIO design and inner workings questi ons

Kent Williams norman-k-williams@uiowa.edu
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 10:52:28 -0600

Today I determined that the problem I was seeing was this:  The original=20
author of the itk::AnalyzeImageIO class put a test into the CanRead and=20
CanWrite methods, that checks AFTER m_FileName is set, whether it is an
empty string.

The itk::ImageFileWriter template class does, in fact, set the image file=
 name=20
where it matters, right before Write gets called.

I'm intrigued, after further code spelunking, about the real purpose of t=
he
itk::ImageIOBase::WriteImageInformation() method.  This doesn't appear to=
 be=20
called from anywhere in the ITK source tree; itk::AnalyzeImageIO calls it=
 in=20
order to write out the Analyze .hdr file.  All the other classes in Code/=
IO=20
implement it with an empty function.