[Insight-developers] Agenda for October 7-9

Terry Yoo yoo@nlm.nih.gov
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:48:31 -0400

Hi all:

This is a draft agenda for the October meeting of the Insight
developers.  I hope that everyone remembers that we have such
a meeting and has made travel and lodging reservations without
my prompting.  If not, now is a good time to get started in
order to secure low rates on travel fares.

I apologize for absenting myself from the discussions of the
past few months.  I assure you that I have been watching the
flow of e-mail on both the developers list and the users list,
and I'm gratified with the growing number of requests for
help from our users, and the flurry of activity in setting up
the validation directory, the successful inclusion of the
Borland C++ compiler and the Mac OS 10.2 platforms, and the
many other developments that have transpired since our
June meeting.

By way of explanation, I have been heads-down in conferences,
workshops, meetings, research, and the addition of two more
members of my research staff.  We got hacked by an outside
networking group using our research cluster to proxy attack
the rest of the world, for which I was obliged to direct the
clean-up and rework our security (this led to a disruption in
my network services, notably my e-mail, so you may have
had difficulty reaching me).  I am also in the midst of
contract renewals and new awards.  This is probably no
different than most of your lives (Lydia being a notable
exception), but I wanted to explain my recent lack of presence in
the consortium.

I will be on the t-con today to discuss the draft agenda that
follows.  This is a draft, open for discussion.

Oct. 7 - Open Announcement of ITK 1.0
Oct. 8 - User's group in the morning - how to download?  Gripes?
        - Developer's group in the afternoon - goals for 2003...
Oct. 9 - Documentation and Book (morning meeting, just PIs?)

October 7 - Lister Hill Auditorium
----------------------------------
9am - Welcome and Introduction - (Ackerman, Yoo, (Lindberg?))
9:15am - Overview of Insight - the Federal viewpoint.  - (Yoo)
          Why the Feds should support open-source
          Where we are now - ITK 1.0, new contracts, goals 2003
9:45am - The Consortium - the developer viewpoint - (Lorensen)
          How the consortium works...
          Organization
          Chronology of the tool development process
          Doxygen documentation
          Web pages - where to find it
          DART
          CMake
          Cable
10:15 -  break
10:30 -  Overview of ITK 1.0 - (Lorensen, Schroeder)
          Templates
          Image classes, mesh classes, statistics lib
          segmentation and registration hierarchies
          What's in it?  Algorithms
          Validation
12:00 -  Lunch
1:00  -  Results - (All)
          Applications
          Algorithms
          Validation
2:45  -  break
3:00  -  Results (continued) - (All)
          Applications
          Algorithms
          Validation
5:00 - end

October 8 - Lister Hill Auditorium - Users and Developers groups
----------------------------------
9am - Welcome and Introduction - (Yoo)
9:15am - ITK Tutorial  - (Lorensen)
          Getting started
          How to find what you're looking for?
          How to run and modify existing examples?
10:15 -  break
10:30 -  Feedback session - (Yoo, Lorensen, Schroeder)
          What do people need?
          What are new developers going to work on?
          Who should meet whom?
          Gripes from the users.
12:00 -  Lunch
1:00  -  Developers meeting
          Refactoring the Mesh classes?
          What next?
3:15  -  break
3:30  -  Developers meeting (continued)
5:00 - end

October 9 - NLM Board Room - Book Planning Session (PIs only?)
----------------------------------
9am - Organization - (Yoo)
9:15am - Goals - ideas - outline
10:15  - break
10:30  - Outlining the book
          Complementary documentation
12:00  - Lunch
1:00   - Assignments
2:00   - end

All remaining attendees are invited to the opening of the
"Dream Anatomy" exhibit at the NLM.
Terry S. Yoo, Ph.D.
National Library of Medicine               National Institutes of Health
High Performance Computing and Communications            yoo@nlm.nih.gov