[Insight-developers] Const Missing in inputs for Process Obje ct

Miller, James V (CRD) millerjv@crd.ge.com
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:56:27 -0500

I would avoid making the input arrays hold const pointers.

Not only is it a barrel or worms, it will make inplace filters
problematic.  I do not want to re-implement large sections of
ProcessObject to support inplace filters.

As for the separation of the pipeline mechanism from the data
portion of the image, I don't think the separation will help
with the const-correctness issues you are hitting up against.
I think it will just move the problem but the same issues
will re-appear.

As for streaming of inplace filters, I don't see any reason
why they wouldn't stream.

-----Original Message-----
From: Luis Ibanez [mailto:luis.ibanez@kitware.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 11:24 AM
To: Insight Developers
Subject: [Insight-developers] Const Missing in inputs for Process Object

Hi,

The array of inputs for Process Object is not const-correct.

In principle there is no reason for a filter to modify its input
so the input should be stored as ConstSmartPointers.

Currently this is done using just SmartPointers.

This constness-defect is propagated through all the Filters
which  basically means that you cannot pass a const image
as input to any filter.      :-/

Does anybody see a conflict in making the array of m_Inputs
in itk::ProcessObject   an array of SmartConstPointers   ?