[Insight-developers] Dashboard errors: FEM & Mesh

Miller, James V (CRD) millerjv@crd.ge.com
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:40:43 -0500

Luis,

Should this effort be done on a branch and merged back into the main tree
once everything is working?

Also, I am suprised that you needed to remove template parameters from Mesh
in order to support FEM.

-----Original Message-----
From: Luis Ibanez [mailto:luis.ibanez@kitware.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 9:26 AM
To: insight-developers@public.kitware.com
Cc: Aljaz Noe
Subject: [Insight-developers] Dashboard errors: FEM & Mesh

Hi

There are some errors today in the Dashboard related with the itk::Mesh.

They are due to experimental code we are developing with Aljaz for the
fusion of the FEM code and the itk::Mesh.

Here is what we did:

We put together a minimal example of an application using the itk::Mesh
for supporting the data structures required for solving a FEM problem.
In order to make that possible, changes have been made to basic Mesh
related classes. (e.g. template parameters have been removed...)

These basic classes related with the itk::Mesh were copied to the
"Example/FEMMesh" directory and mutant versions of them are
evolving there... in what we hope is an isolated ecological niche  :-)

In order to avoid conflicts with the rest of the Toolkit, the FEMMesh
example has a CMake Option  "BUILD_FEM_MESH" that should
be turned "ON" explicitly in order to build the example.

By now we encourage *not* to turn this ON...
unless you want to help us to debug this classes during their evolution
 ;-)
in which case you have to delete the equivalent Mesh classes from
Code/Common in your local checkout of the repository.

The Mesh classes in the example have been added temporarily to the
"fem"  namespace in order to prevent them from being seen from
anywhere else in the code. Once these classes are stable and fused with
the FEM code they will probably return to the "Code/Common" directory.

  Thanks