[Insight-developers] Today's TCON 6/21/02

Will Schroeder will . schroeder at kitware . com
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:42:00 -0400

Hi Folks-

Here are some answers/questions/assignments based on today's TCON:

1. From Xinwei Xue

>I found that for thread synchronization, there's only MutexLock
>classes, but no semaphore or condition variable class available. Is there
>anyone who's looking at this problem?

There is a portable implementation of barriers available in VTK's
vtkThreadedController. I think that if we support barriers then Xinwei and
Josh can do what they want. An adaptation of this code could be modified
and placed in itkMultiThreader. Take a look; GE/Kitware can help if necessary.

2. Josh needs help converting his 8-processor experimental dashboard build
into a nightly build. Several tests are failing on this machine; we need to
track it down.
--> assigned to Bill Lorensen

3. We would like people to attach a note to the "Build Name" describing the
compiler/OS in more detail. We thought that it was a hard thing to do
(i.e., needed XML encoding) and would like to create an easy way to do this.
----> assigned to Jim

4.Lydia has implemented a numerical algorithm that she wishes to contribute
to VNL, and eventually make part of ITK. Lydia will contact the VXL/VNL
people about contributing the code; would like Bill Hoffman's support in
making this happen, and in updating ITK's snapshot of VNL.

5. Josh/Luis/Brad will modify the LaplacianFilter to use/produce float
types as necessary for algorithm stability.

6. Stephen & Jisung will summarize Jisung's experience teaching ITK in the
current crash course. A document/email summary will be sent out.

7. We deferred reviewing the bug list until Jim/Bill were present.

8. We agreed that non-ITK-consortium developers would not be given write
access to CVS until early October. At that point we will develop a policy
of allowing people to join the developer's circle. Lydia proposed a buddy
or mentor system: potential developers would first pass code through a
buddy. The buddy would check for style, correctness, naming. integration,
etc. Once the potential developer passes the buddy test, they would be
given write access. Will volunteered to create a policy document.

Will