[Insight-developers] Wrapping and hardcoded "float" and "double" here and there.

Lydia Ng lng@insightful.com
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 10:47:44 -0800

> Possible solutions:
>=20
> 1) Agree in a basic type for itk::Point to be used by default=20
>    everywhere in the toolkit:   (a) float   (b) double
>=20
> 2) Add a couple of extra template parameters for those classes
>    that assume default types. Note that this defaults are not=20
>    only the ones that we provide in the template parameters in
>    case the user don't select anything, this defaults involve
>    also hardcoded "float" and "double" types  that the user simply
>    cannot change even if he wants to.
>=20
> 3) Ignore the problem and work around by tailoring specific=20
>    types for the registration classes to be wrapped. At least
>    that will allow to wrap the classes and test for compilation
>    errors and for coverage.
>=20

My two cents worth:

I vote for (1) (prefer double but can live with float)
for the reason that all the toolkit is fairly
complex as it is.

Adding a couple of extra template parameters will add
to the complexity and seems to go against our current
drive to simplify and de-template-fy.

Ignoring the problem will probably come back and bite
us each time a new itk users tries to connect components=20
together.

- Lydia