[Insight-developers] threading problems on Linux and SunOS ?

Lydia Ng lng@insightful.com
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:42:29 -0700

Hi All,

Some tests are failing *intermittently* on the Linux and SunOS
platforms.

The rate of failure seems to depend on the data size and how
intensely multi-threading is used.

I ran some experiments on a 4-proc Linux machine.

Simple tests eg ShrinkImageFilterTest, SinImageFilterAndAdaptorTest,
Log10ImageFilterAndAdaptorTest etc, fails at a very low rate.
I ran ShrinkImageFilterTest 100 times and it seg-fault 5 times.
Consequently these errors only shows up once in a while on the
dashboard.

The MultiResolutionMutualInformation**Test fails more often
(approx 1 in 8 times). Hence, failures show up frequently
on the dashboard.
FYI: Internally, 2 pipeline of three
ShrinkImageFilters are used to downsample the image.

I think there might be an underlying multi-threading
problem here. Can someone from the system side check
it out?

Thanks,
Lydia