[Insight-developers] PhysicalObjects for defining anatomical context

Celina Imielinska ci42@columbia.edu
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 13:12:25 -0500 (EST)

 Peter,

 if you want to support queries like:

 "within less then 20 mm from the kidney"
 "if on the left, it must be spleen"...

  the knowledge organization (ontology) for anatomical entities
(structures) must capture complex 3D relationships between the
entities. Plus you must have a spatial database, linked to the ontology,
which will support all kind of geometric/spatial queries. We have done
some work on ontology and spatial database/query language with Nina
Wacholder and Ken Ross. These are not trivial problems, and the ontology
organized around 3D anatomy is not yet resolved... But this is something
important and exciting to look at. Do you want to talk about it?

 -Celina