[Insight-developers] agenda (draft)

Terry S. Yoo yoo@fluorite.nlm.nih.gov
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 13:24:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all:

Here's a cut at the agenda.

Per Will's suggestion, we leave more time for brainstorming, and less
for presenting structured proposals.  We should also try to organize
the meeting around issues rather than around PIs.  That may be hard,
but I've tried to look at Thursday as a "State of the Project" rather
than progress reports.  I want to hear about Cable, CMake, Dashboard,
etc. and how they're working out.  Feedback from the crowd should also
be illuminating on whether our infrastructure is working to support
the project.

After lunch, I want to hear about algorithms and where we are.  From
the traffic, I see more stuff on registration and less on
segmentation.  That's weird, since I thought that we had more
proposals on segmentation and few on registration.  Anyway, I want to
see a catalog of the work in progress, and gauge what will actually be
done for the Beta.

When we discuss algorithms, I am less interested in seeing progress
reports on algorithm development.  I am particularly searching for
common ground on the use of the infrastructure, base classes, and
other things.  If people are using the same elements, iterators,
reverse iterators, or other common processes, it should come out
during our overview.  An inventory of the methods that are available
or will be available will help, but we do not need a throrough
presentation of the algorithm.  If there are lessons learned about how
ITK can be used, they should come out either during the discussion of
algorithms or during the presentation of the development of examples.

Following this, there is time to discuss the development of examples
and applications.  This is the time where we can talk about how easy
or difficult ITK is to use.  GE, UNC, and Insightful at least have
been exploring the use of some of the toolkit, and we'd like to share
some of the experiences.  Since this pertains directly to future
testing and public releases (and the perception that people will have
of our work), we should consider the issues raised during this part
carefully.  This should feed directly into the brainstorming sessions
on what we have to do as part of the future releases.

It has been suggested that we collect ideas on improvements and
critical path problems before breaking for dinner.  I suspect that
such a brainstorming session will lead to discussions over dinner.
Afterward, we can pick up those discussions on Friday.  I'd like to
refocus after that with particular assignments, reminders of
deadlines, and a proposal for the structure of the November meeting
and some clearer pictures for the beta-test launch.

The focus of the meeting is to create a clear plan for the public
releases of the toolkit.  We're seeking a plan for staging the
release from our current alpha, through the beta, to the final 1.0
release in the Fall of 2002.

Terry

Draft Agenda:

Meeting across the street from the Courtyard.
Restaurant - Rock Salt

12 July -

8:30 -9 - Coffee and Danish

9am start - Introduction and Welcome

    Introductions around the table.
    State of the Project - Program Officer's view - Yoo

9:30 State of the Software (GE and Kitware)
    Dashboard
    Cable
    CMake
    DART
    Gnats
    Doxygen

10:30 Break

11:00 Current status of the Architecture
    Iterators
    Reverse Iterators?
    Templates
    Documentation

12:30 - Lunch - catered

1:30 State of the Toolkit
	Algorithms - Segmentation, Registration, Hybrid
	Validation data sources, hierarchies
    GE CRD / Harvard
    Insightful
    UNC
    UPenn / Columbia
    Utah

3:00 break

3:30 State of the Toolkit
	Examples and Applications
    Insightful
    GE-CRD
    UNC

4:30 Breakout Session (Yoo)
    What do you want in the toolkit?
    What do we need to go public?
    What do we need to change?
    What improvements do we need to make to:
	Iterators
	Testing
	Regression testing
	Documentation

5:30 Adjourn for dinner

13 July -

8:30-9am  Coffee and Danish

9 am - Followup of the State of the Toolkit (Yoo)

9:30 am - Followup of the Breakout session: brainstorming
    What improvements do we decide to make?
    What assigments are we going to make?

10:15 - Coffee

10:45 am - More Brainstorming

Noon - Lunch

1:00 pm - Software release planning  (GE and Insightful)
    Deadline for documentation:  Nov. 8th
    Staging of the releases
    What we get done by November, what we put off to 2002?

2:00pm - Open tasks (Yoo)
    Validation
    Work assignments for 2002

3:00pm - Break

3:30pm - Scheduling / planning / tasking  (Lorensen)
         Wrap up, assignments, etc (Yoo)

4:00pm - Breakout into small groups

5:00pm or later - adjourn

Terry S. Yoo, Ph.D.
National Library of Medicine                  National Institutes of Health
High Performance Computing and Communications               yoo@nlm.nih.gov