[Insight-developers] Renaming frenzy

Paul Hughett hughett@mercur.uphs.upenn.edu
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:22:18 -0500

Stephen R. Aylward has written:

> The word sample has a statistical meaning (a collection of instances -
> generally from a population).

"Sample" also has a specific technical meaning in signal and image
processing, so I'd be reluctant to use it as a generic term within an
image processing toolkit.

> I too like measure or calculator...

Dare I mention that "measure" also has a specific meaning in
mathematics?  Fortunately, I think it's obscure enough to
non-mathematicians that we can just ignore the collision.  Ditto for
"field", "ring", "group", etc.  I don't know of any mathematical
meaning attached to "calculator" but there's a lot of mathematics that
I don't know.

Technical terms such as "norm" and "metric", however, are sufficiently
relevant to our toolkit that we should use them precisely.

Paul Hughett