[Insight-developers] itkVector, itkPoint and vnl_vector

Will Schroeder will.schroeder@kitware.com
Thu, 04 Jan 2001 08:36:48 -0500

Hi Jim-

At 07:56 AM 1/4/2001 -0500, Miller, James V (CRD) wrote:
>I agree that the way to fix this is to work with the vnl folks to change
>vnl_vector_fixed. That way
>we maintain an ability to use vectors and points in matrix
>computations.  I'd hate to have to have
>our own implementations of vector and point and maintain the ability to
>multiply by vnl matrices,
>etc.

I agree consistency is good.

>In the interim, I don't think the 8 byte overhead is a big deal (for
>now).  I suggest we proceed with
>converting itk::Point to using vnl_vector_fixed and keep pushing on the
>vnl folks to redesign
>vnl_vector_fixed.

There is a fly in the ointment here. Bill Hoffman mentioned that this
discussion has been visited by
the vnl people several times, and because of compiler issues (manual
instantiation, code bloat, etc.)
they have in the past refused to make the change. Now maybe if we volunteer
to help they will be
more receptive.

I'm wondering if we can use conversion operators (conversion to
vnl_vector_fixed) to accomplish our
goals?

Will