[Insight-developers] compile warnings in FEM code

Lorensen, William E (CRD) lorensen@crd.ge.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 17:22:00 -0500

Globals are bad in general. Can't you provide methods to return the same information?
Warnings aren't harmelss because they disguise other warnings that may in fact be errors. Like using
a variable before it's initialized.

If you'd like, we can look at the code and come up with some suggestions.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Aljaz Noe [mailto:noe@grasp.cis.upenn.edu]
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2001 9:20 AM
To: Insight-Developers
Subject: [Insight-developers] compile warnings in FEM code

Hi!

I've managed to bring the FEM code to a point where there are no compile
errors on all nightly builds.

There are still warnings on Sun machines caleb.-crd and esopus.-crd saying
that a global variable was defined but never used. This is true. We define a
bunch of global static consts that store ID numbers of classes. And these
are of course never used in a library.

The warnings are harmless (IMHO) but annoying, because there are a lot of
them. Any suggestions, how to get rid of them?

Another warning (only one) is within a Doxygen saying that no matching class
member was found and a couple of class members (non-private) are omitted
from the documentation. When I compiled the documentation on my machine with
Doxygen version 1.2.12, everything was OK. Again, any suggestions?

Aljaz