[Insight-developers] STL libraries

Miller, James V (CRD) millerjv@crd.ge.com
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 12:52:32 -0500

I think VTK does use streams in threaded functions. If it doesn't then we must not have any debug
macros in any imaging filters.

The reason we need this is that STL does not default to using thread safe containers (not even trying
to thread access to a single instance of a container but rather have two threads operate on separate
instance of a container is not thread safe).  If you tell STL to use thread safe containers, then you
cannot compile against the SGI streams library.  I think ITK won't even compile if you try to use
thread safe containers and the standard streams library. If it did compile, then it crashes on the
access to a stream.

VTK probably does not have this problem because we probably have not told it to build with thread
safe STL containers.

I think it will be very bad for ITK if someone can try to build ITK on the SGI and be presented with
1000s of compiler errors or worse ITK builds but everything crashes.

If everyone is really against having this code in the repository. Then I suggest the following:

Configure the build process so that if using the SGI compiler, makefiles will not be generated unless
this version of Standard Library is available. CMake will print out a message saying what is needed
and where to get it (it a free download from SGI).  Once people set the cache entry satisfactorily,
then makefiles will be generated.

The bottom line is that I do not want people to be able to used the SGI compiler without having an
appropriate Standard Library.