[Insight-developers] First crack at usage documentation

Will Schroeder will.schroeder@kitware.com
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 07:46:59 -0500

Hi Folks-

At 02:41 PM 12/21/2000 -0500, Luis Ibanez wrote:
>How about using LyX ?
>
>It is a graphic front end for LaTeX, we used it for writing papers.
>It has a nice math editor that take advantage of all latex capabilities.
>
>LyX editor is a Open Source project and binary versions are
>available for Windows. It is known to run in Linux, SGI's and Suns.
>
>The Home Page is :     http://www.lyx.org

I have looked this over. The biggest problem seems to be the installation:
several packages are required including an X Server on Windows systems. I
used LaTeX in the past and found it to be reasonable as long as you didn't
stray from what it was trying to corral you into.

I'm willing to use LaTeX but is this a consensus? Another approach might be
to gather everything together as PDF, and let people author in whatever
tool they like. I think this approach will work as long as we have a solid
outline to plug into, and it might give folks more freedom to work with
their existing tools.

Comments?
Will