[Imstk-developers] Assimp integration

Milef, Nicholas Boris milefn at rpi.edu
Mon Jan 2 13:35:51 EST 2017

I was doing some research, and apparently game engines usually don't load common formats because it takes too long. I think that we should create our own file format and have Assimp save to that format. The other benefit is that we can format it similarly to the VBO so populating the vertex data will be quick. Any thoughts on this?

Sorry, I forgot to reply to the other message. I think I used point data for the bone indices and the bone weights, but I had to bypass much of the VBO class, so technically it would only work with the right data. I'm not sure how this could be done without that file becoming very large. Is there any way we can get rid of all those function calls?