[IGSTK-Users] Tip and Origin Translation Coordinates

Fauze Polpeta fauze.polpeta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 13:07:51 EST 2010

Dear Patrick;

After applying the registration transform to a tool (consider the NDI Vicra
Standard Probe - 8700340) and start the navigation, we've noticed a
strange behavior in our 2D tool representation, which, in turn, is a line
drawn in three OpengGL contexts (MPR). When we rotate the tool around it's
own axis without any tip and origin translations, we faced that the origin
is being shifted as it was being translated, but it's not.

In order to draw the line that represents the tool we use the tipTransform
(obtained on each track event) and the (inverse) calibration transform (see
code below). Thus, with tip and origin translations in hands the line can be
drawn. At a first glance I thought this was caused by a high registration
error, but it's not, even with  such error below 3.0 this scenario remains.
Is this caused by the way we are getting the origin's coordinates back?
Should we rely on the rotation instead of origin translation?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Regards

Fauze

----

INPUT: tipTransform and calibrationTransform

igstk::Transform inverseCalibrationTransform
= calibrationTransform.GetInverse();
igstk::Transform originTransform = igstk::Transform::TransformCompose(
tipTransform, inverseCalibrationTransform );

igstk::Transform::VectorType tipTranslation = tipTransform.GetTranslation();
igstk::Transform::VectorType originTranslation =
originTransform.GetTranslation();

OUTPUT: tipTranslation and originTranslation