[IGSTK-Users] Dental IGTSK

Mohammed Saleh wael869 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 15 17:24:44 EDT 2009

I think dental implants is one of the most important applications that igstk should handle
for more information about dental implants you can refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_implant
recently ct has been widley used by dentists to plan placement of dental implants
many software has evolved to help dentists in doing so for example (SIMPLANT, IMPLANT 3D, INvivodental ANATOMAGE, BLUE SKY BIO, IDENT and many others)
to plan insertion dentist work on 4 views
the first one is the axial cuts which is the direct dicom images reproduced from the CT machine
on this view one can trace a panoramic view which is a cross sectional plane passes thouout the jaw bone in a curved pattern
what happens really is that the dentist draws a curved line (which is not really curved but a group of points) on the first axial section then an image is generated by assembling the repetion of this line throughout all axial sections
the third view is the perpendicular plane over each point of panoramic line
the fourth one is the 3D model
 I am currently using VTK and .net to develop a new software