[IGSTK-Developers] NDI Aurora 6DOF Shape tool in Slicer and IGSTK

Koushik kanti koushik_kanti at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 11:13:49 EDT 2013

Hi All,

I am trying to navigate a NDI Aurora tracking system in 3D slicer. I followed the link below and able to work with one tool. I found a transformation matrix changing while I was moving the tool.
http://www.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/IGT:ToolKit/Navigation-with-Aurora
But I need to do the same thing with Aurora 6DOF Shape tool. The tool contains 7 sensors. You can see the setup of the system in the attached pictures. In the first picture we can see, Shape tool is attached with shape tool adapter and shape tool adapter is connected with 4 sensor interface unit (SIU). Second picture is showing how the 4 SIUs are connected with the back side of the system control unit (SCU)

I used the following xml configuration file when I worked with a single tool.

<tracking_system type = "aurora">
    <refresh_rate> 20 </refresh_rate>
    <serial_communication>
      <com_port>2</com_port>
      <baud_rate>115200</baud_rate>
      <data_bits>8</data_bits>
      <parity>N</parity>
      <stop_bits>1</stop_bits>
      <hand_shake>0</hand_shake>
    </serial_communication>
    <tool>
      <name> transformation1 </name>
      <control_box_port>1</control_box_port>
      <control_box_channel>0</control_box_channel>
      <send_to>localhost:18944</send_to>
    </tool>
</tracking_system>

In order to work with Aurora 6DOF Shape tool, I need to change the configuration file accordingly. I need some suggestions about that. Thankx in advance.

kanti