[IGSTK-Developers] problem with threads???

Kevin Cleary cleary at georgetown.edu
Mon May 8 08:48:45 EDT 2006

As noted by Ziv Yaniv from our group - see the May issue of IEEE Computer
(obviously not as good as the previous issue with our article ;)

It really advocates not using threads as they cause programs to be
nondeterministic, and very unsafe in many cases. This goes against the IGSTK
spirit of extreme safety.

I don't think we should change anything we did for the proposal - this is
just FYI

Kevin

The Problem with Threads
Edward
<http://search2.computer.org/advanced/Author_Result.jsp?qtype=3&select=50&qO
pt1=DC_CREATOR&sortOrder=d&queryName=Edward%20A.%20Lee>  A. Lee, University
of California, Berkeley

Full Article Text: Download PDF of full text
<https://newton.computer.org/DocDelivery/Shopping.nsf/AddToCart?OpenAgent&U=
http://csdl.computer.org/dl/mags/co/2006/05/r5033.pdf&T=The%20Problem%20with
%20Threads> Buy this article

DOI Bookmark: http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/MC.2006.180

Abstract

For concurrent programming to become mainstream, we must discard threads as
a programming model. Nondeterminism should be judiciously and carefully
introduced where needed, and it should be explicit in programs.

Back
<http://csdl2.computer.org/persagen/DLAbsToc.jsp?resourcePath=/dl/mags/co/&t
oc=comp/mags/co/2006/05/r5toc.xml&DOI=10.1109/MC.2006.180#top>  to Top

Additional Information

Index Terms- Programming paradigms, Threads, Nondeterminism, Design
patterns, Coordination languages

Citation:  Edward A. Lee, "The Problem with Threads," Computer, vol. 39,
no. 5,  pp. 33-42,  May,  2006.

Kevin Cleary, Ph.D.                        Work phone: 202-687-8253

Associate Professor                        Work fax: 202-784-3479

Deputy Director

Imaging Science and Information Systems (ISIS) Center

Department of Radiology                    Pager: 202-901-2033

Georgetown University Medical Center       Cell phone: 202-294-3409

2115 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 603           Home phone: 301-299-0788

Washington, DC, 20007                      Home fax: 301-299-0789

ISIS center: www.isis.georgetown.edu

Research group: www.caimr.georgetown.edu

WashCAS: www.washcas.org

Email: cleary at georgetown.edu