[IGSTK-Developers] some thoughts on schedule, 18-month review, proposal, book, etc

Kevin Cleary cleary at georgetown.edu
Tue Mar 14 03:29:54 EST 2006

Hi everyone:

Greetings from Germany! I am in the Black Forest for a few days visiting
Heinz Lemke and helping edit the CARS conference proceedings. Then I go to
Nuremburg on Thursday to visit with Siemens about our new angiography suite,
which includes a flat panel detector. So I will miss the tcon on Thursday
since I am having dinner with the Siemens manager at 7 pm here (the same
time as the tcon). But don’t worry, I will drink some beers for you ;)

Three things I want to mention:

1)       I am working on the proposal and came up with three technical
topics to include as per below my signature. I also started with a
“management” table breaking down the personnel and what tasks they might
help with – let me know if I missed anyone – I will continue to work with
this and should have an outline of the proposal next week

2)       As for the schedule, I had the email exchange with David below and
I think his idea for fixing the schedule is a good one, so please include
that on the agenda for this week. Also note that I do not think there is any
need for a face to face meeting for the 18 month review (if you disagree let
me know). But I think we should plan on having about a ½ day review meeting
by teleconference/videoconference sometime in May, so let us discuss this at
the tcon on the 23rd when I will be available.

3)       Finally, don’t forget about your book chapters as the deadline for
a draft is coming up!

That’s all for now – thanks once again to David for his management of the
tcons recently and helping to move the project forward

Kevin

----- from David Gobbi --------------

Hi Kevin,

We do need some sort of schedule, but it doesn't have to be as detailed as
for previous iterations.  We have 9 T-cons between now and May 17, and we
could just label some T-con dates as deadlines for e.g. completing second
draft chapters, assigning code reviews, completing code reviews, etc.  For
the next T-con, I could even just add a list of future T-con dates to the
agenda and we can decide as a group when the deadlines are.

That could be the schedule.

I'd be fine with a telephone meeting.  It looks like all the big
architecture decisions have been made and the group is just filling in the
blanks now.

 - David

Kevin Cleary, Ph.D.                        Work phone: 202-687-8253
Associate Professor                        Work fax: 202-784-3479
Deputy Director

Imaging Science and Information Systems (ISIS) Center
Department of Radiology                    Pager: 202-901-2033
Georgetown University Medical Center       Cell phone: 202-294-3409
2115 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 603           Home phone: 301-299-0788
Washington, DC, 20007                      Home fax: 301-299-0789

ISIS center:  <http://www.isis.georgetown.edu/> www.isis.georgetown.edu
Research group:  <http://www.caimr.georgetown.edu/> www.caimr.georgetown.edu
WashCAS:  <http://www.washcas.org/> www.washcas.org
Email:  <mailto:cleary at georgetown.edu> cleary at georgetown.edu

1.	Extend the existing software by incorporating:

a.	A multi-threading and multi-process capability to allow the software
to be used in more complex situations[K1] <>
b.	Support for a real-time operating system, specifically RT Linux, to
improve the robustness of the platform for the image-guided surgery
environment
c.	Validation of the state machine model that the toolkit is based on

Table: Work Breakdown

Team member

Aim 1
User Support

Aim 2
Enhancements

Aim 3
Application template

Aim 4
Lung biopsy application

Kevin Cleary

Secondary

Primary
Manager

Luis Ibanez

Secondary

Task 2: Real-time:
Primary

Kevin Gary

Secondary

Task 3: State machines
Primary

David Gobbi

Secondary

Task 1: Multi-threading
Primary

Stephen Aylward

Secondary

Primary

Rick Avila

Secondary

Primary: co-manager

Patrick Cheng

Primary: User Support

Primary: implementation

Julien Jomier

Primary: Organize tutorial

Andinet

Primary: Bug tracking

Brian Blake

Secondary

State machines:
Secondary

Requirements and process documentation

  _____

 [K1] <> Kevin added 3/14: can someone come up with a better justification
here or explanation of the benefits?