[IGSTK-Developers] Re: Multi-Frame DICOM

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Thu Mar 9 14:17:05 EST 2006

Luis Ibanez wrote:

> Hi Mathieu,
>
> We are wondering on what could be the appropriate
> way to find whether a DICOM file is a multi-frame.
>
> We are facing this in an application in IGSTK.
>
> Could you please give us some hints ?

What is being used in GDCM is the following (*). So you need to parse
the header, and retrieve the tag: 0028|0008. If found AND different from
1, then yes it should be a multi frame images.
For more info, please refer to PS 3. C.7.6.6. Multi-Frame Module.

But as David Gobbi recently stated some DICOM can be 4D (Nuclear
Medicine Modality) in a single file, in which case you need to verify
the Value Multiplicity of "Frame Increment Pointer" (0028|0009).
This might cause trouble as it is not supported by GDCM.

HTH
Mathieu

(*)
int File::GetZSize()
{
    // Both  DicomV3 and ACR/Nema consider the "Number of Frames"
    // as the third dimension.
    DataEntry *entry = GetDataEntry(0x0028,0x0008);
    if( entry )
       return (int)entry->GetValue(0);

    // We then consider the "Planes" entry as the third dimension
    entry = GetDataEntry(0x0028,0x0012);
    if( entry )
       return (int)entry->GetValue(0);
    return 1;