[IGSTK-Developers] Image file format

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Mar 6 15:32:08 EST 2006

Hi Andinet, Julien,

Adding fileformats different from DICOM will compromise the
safety level of IGSTK.

Having gdcm in ITK we can save any image in DICOM format.

You can convert your MetaImage file in to DICOM by using
the examples in Insight/Examples/IO.  Then load that DICOM
file into your IGSTK application.

I would suggest that we stick to supporting *only DICOM*
as the only format that is safe enough for being used in
the surgery room.

The MetaImage format has the recent addition of anatomical
information and orientation, but those entries are optional.

MetaImage doesn't carry information about PatientName, or patient
ID, which makes it extremely dangerous in a clinical environment.

It would be too easy to load the image of the wrong patient,
and an IGSTK application would not have a way of raising a flag.

Also, in its current state it is too easy to modify a MetaImage
headers with an editor and to corrupt a file.

Please remember that the conveniences that you may want
to have while you are developing prototypes for research,
are the same risky operations that can harm a patient during
an actual surgical intervention.  IGSTK is not supposed to
behave like Matlab.

    My 2 Cents,

      Luis