[IGSTK-Developers] GUI : License : Copyrights

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Jan 22 17:29:29 EST 2006

Hi Kevin,

If we decide to distributed software that is covered by a
GPL license, then we will have to be very explicit about it.

         It shouldn't in the same CVS repository.

If we add links to it from the Wiki, then we must add very explicit
and visible warnings about the fact that the package in question
(e.g. the validation tool) is covered by a GPL license, and therefore
any derivative work will have to be distributed under a GPL license too.

The Copyright itself does not need to be modified. The copyright
simply states who is the owner of the intellectual property of
the work. The Copyright holder is the one entitled to define
what others are allowed to do with the work and its derivatives.

Providing a License is the mechanism by which the Copyright
holder authorizes others to make use of the work. The Notices on
the validation tool should indicate that ISIS Georgetown is the
copyright holder, and that the work is distributed under a GPL
license because it is derivative work of Qt, that, in its free
edition, is distributed also under a GPL license.

The GPL license states that we must provide a textual copy of the
GPL license along with the source code of the validation tool.

For more background on Copyrights, the Wikipedia has a very
nice summary of Copyright laws (mostly in the U.S).

       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

and some details about licensing are in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright#Transfer_and_licensing

--

In my 2cents opinion:

   We should avoid using source code covered by a GPL license.

       Luis