[IGSTK-Developers] GUI

Julien Jomier jjomier at cs.unc.edu
Sat Jan 21 00:44:48 EST 2006

 > We can't have GPL code in IGSTK.  We possibly could have
 > Qt commercial code, but only if any developer who touched
 > that code held a Qt commercial license.  That's a hard thing
 > to regulate, but it is potentially doable.

AFAIK we should be able to develop support for Qt in IGSTK. The new
Open-source version of Qt requires the following:

- Make the complete source code of your program available to all end users
- Allow all users to re-use, modify and re-distribute the code
- Give up your right to demand compensation for re-use and re-distribution
- Add a notice to your program that it is GPL licensed when it runs

And from the quote:
"If you are unsure of what license you need, then follow this simple
rule of thumb: If you're Open Source, Qt is Open Source. If you're
commercial, Qt is commercial."

More info at: http://www.trolltech.com/download/opensource.html

So I think from the toolkit point of view we can redistribute support
for Qt. Then the users should pay for the commercial license if they
want to use it in a commercial application, if they are going
open-source they will be ok.

That said, I agree with David that IGSTK shouldn't be tied to a specific
GUI toolkit and it will be a good exercise to test it with another GUI.

Julien