[IGSTK-Developers] New build system

Andinet Enquobahrie andinet.enqu at kitware.com
Thu Jan 19 17:34:14 EST 2006

Julien Jomier wrote:

> Andinet,
>
> I'm trying the new build system and there is a major drawback to it.
> Using Visual Studio, when the compiler finds an error it reports to
> the newly created files in the binary directory and not the actual
> files in the source directory. Therefore debugging is a pain.
>
> I think you are copying the file just to merge the tests. Maybe we can
> keep them separated...

Julien,

Yes, I understand the pain. We knew about this issue while agreeing on
this build system.. In fact, here is what David wrote about it ....

>The big issue is that debuggers would find the copies of the files, not the originals, and
>developers would have to be aware of that fact.

We had to settle on this solution just because it was better than the other suggested ideas. Please, refer to the email exchanges on this matter for the suggested ideas...

I am open to other solutions...Let me know if you think of one...

-Andinet