[IGSTK-Developers] Notes on "How to write the IGSTK:The Book"

Patrick Cheng cheng at isis.georgetown.edu
Mon Feb 27 12:07:14 EST 2006

Please follow this link to download the whole zip file with
instructions and example files.

http://public.kitware.com/IGSTKWIKI/images/c/cf/HowTo.zip

It's under main wiki page -> IGSTK: The Book -> "How to write the book"

The following is the text from the instruction file: TheBook.txt

IGSTK: The Book (In the following notes, I refer it as TheBook)

The IGSTKDocuments cvs directory can be view using viewcvs online.
http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/?root=IGSTKDocuments
(You can also go to dashboard, click on 'CVS' menu button, and choose
'IGSTKDocuments' project root on upper right of the page )

To get a local 'WORKING COPY' of TheBook
   cvs -d :pserver:YOUR_USER_NAME at public.kitware.com:/cvsroot/IGSTK login
reply with 'YOUR PASSWORD'
   cvs -d :pserver:YOUR_USER_NAME at public.kitware.com:/cvsroot/IGSTK co
IGSTKDocuments

Directory structure:
IGSTKDocuments
|__Art (for general pictures that can be used in all our future
documents, flyers, and tutorials)
|__Latex (General style file for IGSTK Latex documents)
|__TheBook (Including some utility scripts and 3 directories)
       |__Art (Pictures for 'The Book')
       |__Examples (For running and stripping documents from example
applications)
       |__Latex(Where does most of your work go)
            |__Tex files corresponding to each chapters

For how to use the tex to edit TheBook, you can focus on the text of
the book first. Use any editors you like and copy and past the simple
text into the tex file.

The best way to get start on using latex to format the text is to
learn by example. Attached two files are a pdf chapter extracted from
itk software guide and its corresponding tex file, it has very nice
examples on embeding pictures, equations, urls, and so on. You can
compare two file side-by-side to find out the effects of using those
markups, and learn to format your text.

To compile the book, you need to use CMake (2.05 or 2.06) [Only old
version of CMake works] pointing towards the 'IGSTKDocuments/TheBook'
as source directory and generate the project file. The best way is to
use Linux or Cygwin to build the book, building it under windows with
MITex is too much pain, I suggest not to try it. (enclosed with a
Build.txt, copied from itk software guide, gives detailed instruction
on how to build the book )

You might need to make it several times, the final PDF file is in the
"Bin/Latex", called the 'IGSTKTheBook.pdf', I have enclosed a current
copy of TheBook too.

We might setup a automatic build machine to generate the book and post
it on our wiki page. So every body can see the most updated book
without building the book locally.

PS: If you want to strip documentation directly from igstk code, be
careful about the  style when documenting the code. Please refer to
'IGSTKDocuments/TheBook/Latex/README.txt' for detail.