[IGSTK-Developers] IGSTK - error handling

Ziv Yaniv zivy at isis.imac.georgetown.edu
Fri Dec 15 10:55:26 EST 2006

Hi all,

Cutting to the chase:
How do I handle errors that occur in an IGSTK component at the
application level?

Going back to the tracker classes (Aurora):
The interface exposed to the outside world does not enable status
checking by the application, no GetStatus() method to see what's up with
the internal state machine, and all methods are declared as void XXX(),
so no return value.

Let us say an application wants to initialize a tracker, if this fails
the application user should be alerted. With the current interface I
cannot know if initialization succeeded or failed. The only way to find
out is through a hack (thanks Patrick), using  the GetNumberOfTools()
which should be greater than zero if things are ok, but as I said this
is a hack and not a solution.

Does IGSTK have a systematic approach to reporting errors/request
denials to the outside application, and if not what are the plans for this?

              please advise
                   Ziv

P.S. While I raise this issue for the tracking classes I assume the
situation is similar across IGSTK.

--
Ziv Yaniv, PhD., Research Assistant Professor
Imaging Science and Information Systems (ISIS) Center

Phone: +1-202-687-2902
Fax: +1-202-784-3479
email: zivy at isis.imac.georgetown.edu
web: http://isiswiki.georgetown.edu/zivy/