[IGSTK-Developers] Continuting the discussion on error handling methods....

Andinet Enquobahrie andinet.enqu at kitware.com
Fri Sep 16 14:02:08 EDT 2005

Dear all

I am putting the final touches on the LandMarkRegistration and
ImageReader classes implementation for iteration 6. The main loose end I
need to tighten up is error handling. Although we have brainstormed
several options for error handling , we haven't yet reached a consensus.

If you would like to refresh your mind on this topic,  please refer to
the wiki page that David put together.

http://public.kitware.com/IGSTKWIKI/index.php/Error_Handling#Kinds_of_Errors

For my specific needs, I am planning to implement event observers for
recoverable error conditions in landmark registration and image reading.

The recoverable error conditions that I am anticipating are the following.

For LandMarkRegistration class

1) A request for transform computation before "enough" number of
landmarks are established.

2) Incorrect order of landmark establishment.  I am enforcing a specific
order of landmark establishment i.e  image followed by tracker
coordinate for landmarks 1,2,3 (We are using 3D Rigid body transform)
For example, an error condition arises if the application sets image
coordinates of two landmarks successively without setting the tracker
coordinate of the first landmark.

For ImageReader classes

1) An image read request before specifying the image file name.
2) Error during image reading operation (may be corrupted image data,
invalid image format etc..)

This is not an exhaustive list by any means. But I believe these are the
major ones.

I would like to get your comments/thoughts/suggestions on

- additional major error conditions and
- my pick of an error handing method

thanks

-Andinet