[IGSTK-Developers] Does IGSTK need any calibration components?

Hui Zhang zhang at isis.imac.georgetown.edu
Wed Nov 16 13:44:39 EST 2005

Hi, David,

That pivot calibration class takes the inputs from the tracker, (translation
and orientation), as many samples as the user wants, and then calculates the
3D translation from the sensor/marker to pointer's tip. And also it will
return the RMS error in the computation. I used it for tracked needle
calibration, which has only one offset along z-axis, but I can extend it to
3D translation for optical and other trackers by adding two more variabels.

The ultrasound calibration class is a general 2D/3D imaging to tracker
calibration. The inputs are:
1. the point index in 2D/3D imaging space;
2. the concurrent reading from 6DOF tracker;
3. the point coordinate in the tracking space;
It will need at least 3 or more frames to compute the matrix.

One question is, these two classes use Vnl functions through ITK, so will it
affect the current IGSTK structure? It uses vnl to perform some matrix
operations.

The mathematic part is in our EMBS and SPIE papers, and we use the simple
matrix operations. I can attach it if IGSTK needs.

If the requirement and the mathematica part are approved, I can try to begin
put it into sandbox.

Regards
James