[IGSTK-Developers] HSMDSS Position Paper for Review

Stephen R. Aylward aylward at unc.edu
Thu Mar 31 17:10:56 EST 2005

Hi Brian

I am reading over the paper - one quick note: Julien and I are in the
Department of Radiology at UNC - not comp sci.

What about including a organization paragraph at the start of or just
before section 2?
Something the introduces the major software challenges and/or themes of
the paper and provides an outline to the paper.

Section 2.2 and 2.3 are weak.   I am not certain what is the goal of
these sections.  DICOM is the medical image/data communication standard.
   Various extensions support overlays, CAD results, patient data
including medical exams being requested, pathology results, etc.
Tracker data communication isn't part of this standard - but I am not
certain if this was your focus.   Seems like you need a problem domain:
for intra-operative guidance there is a need for maintaining a scene,
spatial relationship between objects, etc - that isn't well addressed by
existing standards.   Perhaps that can be the focus.   That should then
reference SpatialObjects and Scene graph theory - The Insight
SoftwareGuide has a chapter on spatial objects and could be referenced.
  XML is a file format (kind of) that could be used to transfer a scene...

To me, the major contribution is section 3.   Presents challenges to
software design, logging, and perhaps goes a bit against norms of reuse
(you don't necessarily want to make code general - it should be specific
to ensure validation/verification - but then it isn't good for re-use).
  etc.

Just my thoughts...   I think you write very well and that there is a
huge need to document this experience as you are doing!

THANKS!
Stephen