[IGSTK-Developers] LOG4CXX test on IGSTK state machine

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Mar 19 17:18:50 EST 2005

Kevin,

We didn't talked about log4cxx at the Tcon since we were focused
on the issues related to the integration of David's tracker code.

As Julien pointed out, the current insertion of log4cxx into ITK
have faced a number of technical difficulties that can be summarized
as

1) Multi platform limitations.
    It seems that it will be difficult to adapt
    to all the platforms that are supported in ITK.

2) Maintenance for a discontinued version.
    The version we put in ITK has been discontinued
    by Apache. In their new version they depend on
    another library for system-level services.

3) Creation of singletons per Class.
    Bill Hoffman (at Kitware) pointed out that
    having singletons per class have been attempted
    in VTK in the past, and have proved to be unfit
    for many of the use cases of a library.
    In particular when using DLL and at the moment of
    quiting an application.  The circumstances that
    Bill described will compromise the reliability of
    ITK and therefore IGSTK for being used in a critical
    environment such as the Operating Room

We discussed these issues with Jim Miller and Daniel Blezeck
at GE and agreed in following the approach that Sohan has
developed so far. Meaning, studying the functionalities of
Log4cxx and adapting them to a set of classes the we
design ourselves and can model to our needs.

Our current action item is to gather the requirements of the
logging class in the context of ITK and put those requirements
in the ITK Wiki.

If Hee-su Kim is available for further developing this code,
that will be great. We still want to push for integrating the
logging capabilities into ITK, but we will not pursue the use
of log4cxx as a direct third party library.

    Luis