[IGSTK-Developers] Gist of talk with Mr. David Gobbi.

ranjan ranjan at isis.imac.georgetown.edu
Tue Mar 15 17:22:26 EST 2005

Hello Kevin.

I talked with Mr. David Gobbi today. Here are the main points we
discussed:

a. Mr. Gobbi didn't see need to implement "serial communication"
   code in such a detailed way as done in IGSTK. He didn't seem
   to appreciate deriving platform-dependent classes, instead of
   using ifdef's.
   His reason for playing low in this library is that some people
   may be interested in using their own code for "serial
   communication", or using vendor provided library.

b. Mr. Gobbi agreed/suggested that the right way for going ahead
   with using his code would be to cut-and-paste bits of code pieces
   from his VTK_Tracker class.

These are inputs on which the t-con may be based. We are set for
a t-con on Thursday at 1 PM EST.

Here are my $0.02

a. A user may not be able to use his own "serial communication"
   code unless he also changes the tracker code, using the
   C-formalism. Instead, using IGSTK, the user just needs to derive
   a communication class but using his communication library, and
   go ahead.

b. I already have developed a "Serial Communication" library. So
   I do not understand reasons behind not going ahead with this code,
   which adheres with IGSTK development principles. What is the reason
   for chucking out this code?

Sohan