[IGSTK-Developers] Mac issues

Kevin Gary kgary at asu.edu
Fri Jun 10 01:30:16 EDT 2005

I had some issues building the IGSTK sandbox on Mac OS X Tiger
using gcc-3.3. I do not know if we are planning to support Mac
as one of our platforms, and I do have other boxes available to me
(I built on linux earlier today with no issues), so I will describe the
issues here and if Mac support is desired I can add them to the
bug tracker.

The file that will not compile is igstkSerialCommunicationForLinux.cxx.
Turns out that Mac OS does not support termio.h, and instead
recommends termios.h. A simple switch to this of course did not work
as they are not exactly compatible, though it did cut down on the
number of compilation errors significantly.

My next thought was that I didn't need to be compiling this file on
the Mac anyway as it should never be deployed on a Mac.  Simply
removing it did not work as there are some test files that rely on it
(I get linker errors if I leave the include's of the corresponding
header file in).  However, I can build the library file libIGSTKSandbox.a.
Turns out the files including the header check for WIN32 and if
that is not defined assume they can include
igstkSerialCommunicationForLinux.h, and this fouls me up.

I am new to cmake, but I found a few things interesting. The cmake.depends
files did indicate I needed termios.h instead of termio.h, even though
the source file said otherwise. I assume it must know something about the
platform it is deployed on. I also notice our CMakeLists file include
some platform logic for WIN32, CYGWIN, and UNIX, but not
specifically for Mac.

Again, I don't mean to slow things down based on compilation on
one Mac laptop, but thought I would throw it out there. I know
adding a Mac to the dashboard would help identify this early, but
this is the only one I have...

K2

--
===